The Best Roof Decks in Midtown
November 10, 2015
The New York City skyline is a breathtaking sight to behold, and what better way to experience it than from one of Midtown’s marvelous roof decks with a cocktail in hand? Swanky rooftop hangouts are abundant in Manhattan, existing everywhere from atop iconic landmarks to inside luxury residential towers.
Residents of Atlas New York in Midtown get the best of both worlds thanks to the building’s location and its own lavish, 48th-floor Sky Terrace. This spacious residents-only haven covers 4,485-square feet of outdoor space and overlooks nearby Bryant Park, the Empire State Building, and countless other quintessential New York sites. Of course, when it’s time to leave home base, Atlas residents will enjoy easy access to countless other rooftop bars and lounges in the same neighborhood. Even better yet, many of these sky-high destinations are open year ’round, leaving plenty of reasons to celebrate even after summer has come and gone. The following all-season spots offer unmatched views of Midtown Manhattan and beyond.
- Hudson Hotel, Midtown West – Hudson Hotel’s meticulously decorated 15th-floor Sky Terrace is the perfect setting for soaking up an early sunset with a pumpkin ale or Oktoberfest brew from its bar. Once the cold sets in, The West 58th Street location adopts a ski lodge theme, serving s’mores, grilled cheese sandwiches, and winter cocktails. Even during cold snaps, this remains one of the city’s hottest spots.
- Birreria at Eataly, Flatiron District – A prime destination for foodies thanks to its impressive collection of 12 on-site restaurants, Eataly is also a must-visit for beer enthusiasts due to Birreria, its rooftop microbrewery and restaurant. Located on the 14th floor of Mario Batali’s popular European market, Birreria offers Italian and German cuisine alongside house-brewed beers crafted in collaboration with Dogfish Head, Baladin, and Birra Del Borgo. The sausages served here, some of the best in the city, pair particularly well not only with the beer but with Birreria’s astounding views.
- Refinery Rooftop, Midtown – Located inside the historic Colony Arcade Building, the reinvented Refinery Hotel offers one of the winter’s coziest rooftops thanks to the popular retreat’s rustic setting and romantic wood-burning fireplace.
- Plunge Rooftop Bar and Lounge, Meatpacking District – Who says you can’t sport a bikini in sub-zero temperatures? Notorious for attracting celebrity guests and noise complaints, Plunge is located under the Gansevoort Hotel’s retractable glass roof, which ensures that guests can soak in its rooftop pool while soaking up spectacular west-side views any time of the year.
- The Skylark, Midtown – Although it’s located within walking distance of Times Square, The Skylark is anything but a tourist trap. This trendy hang has wraparound views, a beauty of a bar, and heat lamps to keep guests comfortable even during chillier months.
- Spyglass, Midtown West – Fans of celebrity chef and restaurateur David Burke will love Spyglass, a ’40s- and ’50s-inspired rooftop lounge serving critically acclaimed dishes from Burke’s fabrick. Munch on upscale bar snacks like lobster dumplings and Hamachi Tartare while sipping craft cocktails, all while taking in unmatched views of the Empire State Building and Midtown West from atop the Archer Hotel.